Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Sickly Busy

Music: Come Away With Me by Norah Jones

Book review
Work Rules! by Laszlo Bock

This guy is the Head of People Operations at Google. Its just a fancy title for what is essentially the HR boss in any company. But Google is not just 'any company'. The methods and activities he described in the book are really interesting, and i like the fact that most of their actions, decisions, policies are strongly data driven and backed by analytics, big data stuff. Data speaks to me. I guess that's why I became an engineer. But maybe its precisely because i was trained as an engineer that i learn to love data. Well, that's a discussion for another day. Anyway, TNB has a long way to go when it comes to effective and quality HR. I have a very strong desire to give this book to a top HR boss in TNB. But I also think it'll be a waste of time, as I see no leaders that I truly respect that would be open to different ideas and way of doing things in our HR division. Oh this entry is not really a book review isn't it. I guess i would have enjoyed the book more if im in the HR line. But it did give me some ideas and advice on how to become a good and effective manager. Applying it is another story, but i hope i am able to in some way or another. Not that I aspire to be a big boss (I'm lazy like that), but I do feel some kind of responsibility to develop the few subordinates that I have. It takes a lot of consciousness to pause, take a step back, look and think, then move forward again with better actions and ideas (as opposed to doing things as usual and automatically, until the change becomes a habit). and the cycle is repeated and its a way to continuously improve ourselves.

-----
The past one month has been rather hectic. Started with the week-long training in Penang, weekend in Singapore for the Foo Fighters concert, then a week in Melbourne (which was one of the most enjoyable trips ever), dived in straight to work after, nenek at the hospital, dodgeball practices and tournament, lepak sessions with friends and family, weekend hikes, evening runs and strength training.. and all these has culminated into me falling sick, right now. Fever and headache, cold and cough, avoiding my bronchitis attack just barely. 

No comments: