Monday, August 06, 2012

No Tiger Mama for Me

Music: Bong Hong Thuy Tinh by Buc Tuong

I managed to finish another book today. I've always wanted to read Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother since it came out last year..so i borrowed the book from the library. Well actually a few months back there was a book fair sort of and we got to choose a lot of books for the library to buy, so this is one of the books i chose, i think i chose close like 30 books hahaha.

Anyway, its another easy book to read, simple language, simple story.. finished it in a little over 3 hours.

I guess every parent have their own way of raising their kids.. my parents are nothing like the Tiger Mother, and I wouldn't want to be raised that way. In fact, I wouldn't want to be raised any other way, because I enjoyed, and still enjoy, the freedom of choice that my parents gave me all these years. Some of you can vouch for me having one of the coolest and most laid back mother on earth.. my father is a different story, but it is a good balance :)

That being said, it never crossed my mind once that the Amy Chua was too harsh on her kids.. what she wrote is not the full story.. it would be impossible to clearly describe the dynamics of her family, her relationship with her daughters and husband, in only 200+ pages. She has many critics.. but she also has many admirers. For me, it was just another amusing story.

Definitely a good leisure read.

Won't have time to read anymore books for the next few weeks. Classes resumed today, and it looks like its gonna be another month of hell ride. On a bright note, my group for this semester looks promising :). Which reminds me, I need to come with ideas for a group name! Last semester I named our group Chillax Ltd. hahahh..

Night y'all.

p/s: I just googled and my mom was born in the Year of the Tiger!! hahaha.. she totally does not fit the description of Tiger personality. 

No comments: