Sunday, August 05, 2012

Bang Bang!

Music: Beo Dat May Troi by Anh Khang & Quang Thang

I just finished reading The Bang Bang Club by Grey Marinovich & Joao Silva.. this book tells the real life story of 4 white photographers based in South Africa who covered the faction war between the ANC supporters (Nelson Mandela's political party) and Inkhatha (Zulu majority).

I picked up this book from the school library, because the title caught my eye. It turned out to be a really great read. You get a glimpse of how the situation really on the ground, the fights and killings that broke out, the nature of the apartheid government, in the 4 years leading to the first democratic election in the country in 1994. It also tells the state of mind of these war-photographers who risked their lives to capture the pictures that we see in the news, that we take for granted, of wars, them being in the line of fire and all that. They see people die everyday and helpless to do anything about it, except taking pictures. I also now know the real story of the famous picture of the small Sudanese girl, all skin and bones due to the famine and war, bent down on the desert ground, alone, with a vulture lurking behind. I'm sure everyone has seen before in many UN posters and various magazines and ads for African-based relief agencies.

The book doesn't tell the whole story of apartheid course, but now I have an idea. Makes me wanna read more about it. Previously when I read Gandhi's autobiography, it was the onset of apartheid in SA, so i guess i have some background there.

Anyway I'm not in the best state of mind to write what I really feel now after reading the book since its already 4am in the morning here and I am so damned sleepy too. But I totally recommend this book, which is really an easy read, and short. I'm gonna watch the movie next.

Its the first non-academic related book that I've managed to read since I came here. It feels good to be able to finish a book after 5 months of not reading any. Tomorrow I have to get back to work, i.e. doing presentation slides for the next semester for my Prof, part of my TA job. So lazy! but I get paid so its ok hehe.

Time to sleep! 

No comments: