Music: Travelog by Asian Kung-Fu Generation
(How apt that this song is playing on my ipod while I'm starting to write this entry).
Being a travel writer would be a dream job for me. But alas, I don't have the talents to write well enough to earn money doing it. Although quite a number of people have suggested to me that I should do a travelog. Its flattering but I don't think I'm quite cut out to do it. Maybe I should enrol in a writing course. Haha. And its not like I've been to that many places anyway.
The thing about writing well is if you're passionate enough to tell the story, and the story itself has to be something different and interesting enough to write about. There's a reason why I managed write such a long entry on my trip to India, and to write it so soon after i came back. Because everything that I saw and experienced in India was different from the norm (at least to me). It was so exhilarating, that I couldn't wait to share it here. Because it was different, it was worth telling. Because it was different, I had fun writing it. Because it was different, I would regret not sharing it.
Traveling has become so commercialized and the experience is not so authentic anymore. Everything you need to know about a certain place is readily available on the net. What would be interesting is if you had a totally different experience from other travelers and tourists, and to get this, you'd have to go off the beaten track. This is not that easy to do because when you go somewhere, you would want to see the places/do things that the place is famous for, and that means you're just like everyone else. At the end of the day, we're just fueling and feeding on the capitalism that is almost everywhere now.
But even so, I'm not saying that I don't enjoy these big cities or tourist places. I've been wanting to write about my short stint in South America.. I'll have to do it in parts though... for now, I'll just leave you with a pic taken by the company that we rented our bicycles from in Buenos Aires.. got it off fb..
With that said, to Asrif., if your reading this, I still remember promising to write about my Beijing trip.. hahahah.. its been 10 months since.. sorry for not keeping to that promise.
(How apt that this song is playing on my ipod while I'm starting to write this entry).
Being a travel writer would be a dream job for me. But alas, I don't have the talents to write well enough to earn money doing it. Although quite a number of people have suggested to me that I should do a travelog. Its flattering but I don't think I'm quite cut out to do it. Maybe I should enrol in a writing course. Haha. And its not like I've been to that many places anyway.
The thing about writing well is if you're passionate enough to tell the story, and the story itself has to be something different and interesting enough to write about. There's a reason why I managed write such a long entry on my trip to India, and to write it so soon after i came back. Because everything that I saw and experienced in India was different from the norm (at least to me). It was so exhilarating, that I couldn't wait to share it here. Because it was different, it was worth telling. Because it was different, I had fun writing it. Because it was different, I would regret not sharing it.
Traveling has become so commercialized and the experience is not so authentic anymore. Everything you need to know about a certain place is readily available on the net. What would be interesting is if you had a totally different experience from other travelers and tourists, and to get this, you'd have to go off the beaten track. This is not that easy to do because when you go somewhere, you would want to see the places/do things that the place is famous for, and that means you're just like everyone else. At the end of the day, we're just fueling and feeding on the capitalism that is almost everywhere now.
But even so, I'm not saying that I don't enjoy these big cities or tourist places. I've been wanting to write about my short stint in South America.. I'll have to do it in parts though... for now, I'll just leave you with a pic taken by the company that we rented our bicycles from in Buenos Aires.. got it off fb..
With that said, to Asrif., if your reading this, I still remember promising to write about my Beijing trip.. hahahah.. its been 10 months since.. sorry for not keeping to that promise.

No comments:
Post a Comment