Monday, March 22, 2010

Zee Hour

Music: Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden

So Zee Avi performed for an hour on Saturday night.
The emcee for the night was Aaron from The Biggest Loser Asia.. 2nd runner up? Aku tak tau aa sbb tak tengok itu show. He's quite funny lah!
She came on stage a little after 8.30pm.
She had a super huge hair-do hahahaha, I wasn't shocked though coz most of the gigs put on youtube semua rambut camtu gak.
And she's so freakin small the guitar might as well swallow her up.
Her crew consisted of Reed the drummer and Frank the cellist and guitarist.
She started with Poppy..
After that she said "hi everyone, its good to be back home, I'm Zee Avi"...
And started getting all emotional and almost cried.. maybe she did shed a tear or two...
"So who here are fans of Interpol?!"
Obviously her next song was a cover lah.. Slow Hands..
Followed by The Traveller.. I've been trying to download this mp3 since forever but tak jumpa2 sampai skarang.
Next was another cover I think.. I don't know the song or by whom.. the lyrics went like.. "I think I've done it again broke your heart all for a friend.." something like that. Tel, help?
Then she sang Honey Bee and Bitter Heart to the delight of the crowd, who sang along with her throughout, including yours truly!
"This next poem I just wrote recently.. it's called Madness"
I thought she was gonna recite us something la she put down her guitar, but then she picked up a bottle and a pen or something and her crew started playing this song it had the hawaiian tune sort of.
Then she picked up her ukulele and people started shouting Kantoi!!
"Be patient you guys". hahahah.
Just You And Me was next and the lyrics for this song was the one used by the emcee prior to the gig for a contest, one guy won return tickets to Bali for two. Lucky dude.
She sang another cover next, Date With The Night by the Yeah3.
 "Usually, everywhere else, I have to say.. this is a mix of Malay and English.. Manglish.. yes it exists" 
And theeennnnn she finally sang Kantoi..
1..2..3..4... she started playing, the drums came in and it was a total mess... literally kantoi nampaknya!
"Whoa whoa whoa..... what's this??" she stopped the band and they started over.
It was only their 2nd gig together, but still not an excuse, but maybe jugak it was just a gimmick? who knows right.
After that she started talking summore...
"So I can't say this enough, I'm so glad to be back!!!"
Thanked the sponsors.. and Tony Fernandes who was sitting at the upper deck.
"If there is one person that I'm really thankful for, its my dad, come out here dad!! "
Hug2 kiss2...
"Here's an early birthday present for you..." and she gave him a huge picture frame of herself in there was a plat for her reaching gold status in Malaysia and also her album. Vain pot much? hhahaha just kidding.
"This is gonna be my last song of the night.."
I was like, damn baru 9.30pm. tipu lahh.. takkan tu je kot. No encore?
And she hasn't even sung half of the songs from her album!
But thank god the last was First of the Gang to Die.. Morrissey cover....my favorite, like I mentioned.
Perfect ending!!! She was kinda high when she sang this song. I can totally relate.
Then she went back stage for the press conference.
But the audience didnt want to go back and kept shouting "We want more! One more song!"
Aaron came on stage and talk2 trying to calm the audience down.
And after 10 minutes or so, Zee Avi came back!
Her press conference had to be put on hold for a while ahahha...
She was alone this time, had to re-tune her guitar.. obviously it wasnt rehearsed and mmg totally impromptu.
She sang Monte, which she named after her guitar, and in the middle she kantoi sikit, sikit je la..
And then she was gone for good lah. 
Her voice is much stronger than what we hear in her recordings, which is a good thing.
And lastly, if I ever get the chance to talk to her, I'd ask her to do a cover of SP's Let Me Give The World To You.  
I really like KL Live, its small and has a very intimate setting.
Perfect for acoustic gigs like hers.
Placebo's concert kat sana last week must've been really awesome lah...
Up close and personal rock concert? Gila bestttttttttttttt!!!!


The following are official pics by airasiaredtix. I didn't bring my camera to the event.

Getting the tickets I won. They didn't even ask for the stuff that I'm supposed to trade in the tix with.
Itu saya dan Dy sedang beratur nak masuk.
Itu saya dan Dy. See us? D and Tel belum sampai.
Aaron the emcee giving us a good laugh.
ZA and guitar singing Poppy.
Frank.

Reed.
ZA knocking on the bottle singing Madness.
ZA and ukulele singing Just You And Me (kot).
Press conference.

4 comments:

awesome blossom said...

oohhhhh, reed itu sgt comel :)

K said...

kan???!!!!! hehehe.

naza said...

cool gile gambar ko terselit celah-celah tuh ;p
tgh bayangkan ko scan gambar dgn sangat telitinya to actually notice you-sebesar-kacang-dal, heh

K said...

hahahahahah. takde la kena scan gila2. from the angle of the pic and knowing where i stood, pretty easy to detect!