Thursday, March 18, 2010

SP == BC

Music: A Stitch in Time by Smashing Pumpkins

The 3rd song from Teargarden by Kaleidyscope was released a few weeks back, and once again, Billy Corgan doesn't disappoint.
I've been listening to SP non stop, to the point that made me realize I'm actually in love with Corgan.
I told my friend* about SP's 11EPx4songs project and she said, eh bukan tinggal BC je ke dalam SP?
To which I replied, does it even matter?
Okay there may be some die-hard fans out there who do care, but to me:

Billy Corgan is the life and soul of Smashing Pumpkins.

In between the time SP disbanded (and BC founded Zwan) and came back together again albeit with totally new members (BC did ask the original members whether they'd like to come back and all of them declined), it felt like they never left. I've always had a feeling they'd be back. So when SP recently announce they're looking for a new bassist and keyboardist.. its insignificant news to me.

Just to pay homage to this friend* of mine, she was the one who introduced me to SP, but now she's no longer up to date with these kind things. Lets just say once ppl get married and have kids, there are more important things in life to think about and waste time on than keeping up with the going-ons of your favorite band. I don't blame her for shifting her priorities and interests elsewhere. Its probably smart of her to concentrate on what's more important. But given the choice, if it were me in the same situation, I hope I will still be able to indulge in my favorite music at leisure. I can't imagine forgo-ing something as precious as that. Btw, this is the same friend who got me interested in F1. She probably has no idea how much influence she has on me haha.

I actually should be listening to Zee Avi sampai tepu since I'm attending her gig this Saturday.
I realized a few days back that her music resembles one of the genres that I dislike most.
And that is country music, but only in the lyrical sense.
She tells stories.. from A to Z.
Some may not be familiar with country, but that's how the songs are usually, the most current and relevant example I can think of right now is Taylor Swift.
Its only because her songs are more pop than country that I listen to them.
But despite this particular similarity, I still like ZA. or else I won't be spending RM42.50 to go see her (presale 25% discounted price off the cheapest ticket).
But isn't it weird that my favorite song off her first album is First of the Gang To Die.. which is actually a cover song (Morrissey 2004).

No comments: