Warning: May contain spoiler.
I finished reading this book approximately 2 weeks ago. I bought it when I was back in Malaysia during summer, out of boredom. It is a true story about a renowned geisha in Japan, Nitta Sayuri (formerly known as Chiyo) during World War 2. The book cleared the misconceptions I had about geishas. Like most people, I used to think that geishas were equivalent to prostitutes. But as it turned out, that's not the case at all. Senang citer, diorang ni pelayan. Sayuri became a geisha not by choice. Some guy sold her and she had no other way of earning money except by becoming a geisha. To cut the story short, during her course of life, she stumbled upon a Chairman of a prominent company and fell head over heels. She kept her feelings to herself for like more than 20 years I think. Lama gila minat orang, power gila tu. LOL. As it turned out, the Chairman confessed his feelings for her after all these years of being just aquaintances. Basically, they have been haboring feelings for each other, but not a soul knew about it. Apparently, the Chairman did not confess earlier because he knew that the President of the same company liked Sayuri too. He was putting business before pleasure. Gila lah, too good to be true ey? Eventually they got married, and Sayuri ended her career as a geisha. She was over 40 years old by then. She went through a lot of hardships, predicaments and miserable times though (kawan aku nangis doh baca buku ni). So I was rather shocked that the story had a happy ending. We'll see how the movie turns out. Michelle Yeoh is one of the casts. I can't wait.
I read quite a number of books this past summer. More than the past 3 years combined since I came here. The Da Vinci Code and Angels&Demons by Dan Brown is a must read! Once you start, you can't stop. Best gila tak ingat. Also read Trading Up by Candace Bushnell (author of SATC). It was okay, but I did not particularly like it. Pretty much like the SATC series, and I'm not a fan of that show. The book contained lots of swearing and vulgar words, and not to mention the number of sex and blow jobs (don't worry, explicit descriptions of the 'activities' were close to nonexistent). Kinda reminds me of Samantha from SATC. hahaha, but still budak kecik macam Badak takleh baca.
Apart from that, I reread ALL the Judith McNaught novels, my mom has the whole collection. LOL, it was my mother who 'brought' me into the world of romance novels. Started around F4. Heck, I used to gelakkan mak aku because she's so jiwang. I did not even like boys until F4, that was when I started to have guy friends anyway. Up till then, I only read mystery novels. God knows how many RL Stine, Christopher Pike and Enid Blyton books I've read. Too many. Most of my friends were so into Sweet Valley (teenage romance). I tried reading one book, and I hated it!. Stupid story lines, typical. I was an avid fan of Enid Blyton, and my favorite series was The Mallory Towers. One of the reasons I decided to go to college (read:TKC) was because I imagined my life would be like the twin sisters in Mallory Towers. Boy, I was totally misled. But of course, I would never exchange the fun and experiences I had during those 5 super-duper-cool-awesome-best-nak-mampus years in college with anything, LOL
I am currently reading To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee. I bought the book 2 years ago and forgot about it, a great method of collecting dust. I was either too busy, or too lazy to read it when I had the time. Plus, there were always some new animes to watch.
Heh, boring entry. But it beats doing my stupid programming assignment.
No comments:
Post a Comment