Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Conversations With A Cobbler

Music: This Time by Jonathan Rhys Meyers

I was in somewhere nearby South City in Seri Kembangan earlier today, trying to locate an office and failed because I memorized the wrong address. I called the person I was supposed to meet, but he did not answer. So while waiting for him to return my call, I looked for a street cobbler (one of the things I love about Malaysia), because my wonderful Ipanema Gisele Bunchen flip flop has started to break, the soles underneath has worn off which I attribute to the way I walk.. seret2 like pemalas u know. I love this pair of slippers which I bought 2 years ago, because it's like custom made for my huge, long but narrow feet. At first the cobbler said there's nothing he can do to repair it, and said even if he did, it would be uncomfortable. But not willing to depart with my beloved slippers that have been my constant partner to various continents across the world (so dramatic!), I insisted he 'tampal' completely new soles. So in the end he agreed.

As I had nowhere to go while waiting for my slippers to be repaired, I sat beside him on a stool and just observed him doing his job, whilst getting other customers (business was good!). I wanted to talk but I didn't know whether he'd be comfortable, he was definitely not Malaysian. And then he initiated the conversation. I found out that he's from Padang, has been here for 7 years. Which is wonderful really because I've been thinking of going there sometime before this year ends. I almost bought the tickets 2 weeks ago but did not, but I bought tickets to somewhere else instead hehe. I wondered if he does any other job beside being a cobbler, but he said no. And its hard to get a job back home, hence our encounter lol.

From my questions, he said that Padang is a really nice place, and its nothing like here (meaning KL). When I asked him to elaborate further, he somehow compared our Sunway Lagoon to their version there, and said it's much nicer there. Haha. I was thinking all the while, I don't think I'll be going to a water park if I ever went to Padang. I inquired about Bukit Tinggi, and he said its really cold there! I asked about tour guides and hiking, but because I couldn't find the right words in Malay, so he couldn't understand what I was talking about. It would be best for me to hire a taxi to bring me around, or I could rent a car, he suggested. I asked if it is safe to travel in Padang alone, and he said, of course! "Orang sana semua baik2". We started comparing KL and Padang in terms of safety, crimes etc.

Out of nowhere, he started lecturing me about going to Padang alone.. it would be boring, he said. I would have no one to talk to, don't know where to go, and what if I get into trouble? Presented me various scenarios of the cons of traveling alone. I entertained him in that sense, but whatever he said did not unnerve me the very least. He said I could've followed him to Padang when he went back for raya 2 weeks ago. Haha. Firstly I don't know him yet, secondly, I don't think I'll take up the offer, no matter how nice he seems to be. I actually got the same offer from a Pakistani who sells carpets in Bangi (if I ever want to go to Pakistan), when I mentioned that I went to India. He's from Lahore.

At one point, I was staring into space and he asked me, 'kenapa termenung saja'? I was imagining my trip to Padang and Bukit Tinggi then haha. 40 minutes later, he's done up my slippers (while doing up other people's as well), and it was perfectly comfortable. Thank god I don't have to fork out 70 bucks to buy another ipanema slippers. Paid him 10 bucks, thanked him and said I would totally remember him if I ever went to Padang, to which he smiled.

I drove back to Bangi and then the person I was supposed to meet up called me. My bad for getting the wrong address, and too bad he called me a little tad too late. Maybe next time. 

2 comments:

Lin said...

if youre going to Padang go straight to Kota Tinggi. "The Historian" should know.. We were all there a couple months ago. And get a guide. Padang is pretty boring so the best would be to go straight to Kota Tinggi.

K said...

Haha thanks Lin yes he told me the same thing.