Monday, March 14, 2011

Crazy Love!

Music: Winning the Battle, Losing the War by Kings of Convenience

Michael Buble...my first concert of the year..
It is so far the mellowest con I've ever been to.
Well, of course I did not expect to be screaming on the top of my lungs and jumping like a crazy woman at Buble con.
Although I'm not a fan, I can only withstand a certain dosage of jazz and only to a certain level before I start thinking its all slightly unpleasant noise.
His performance was great and he sang beautifully..
And I do like his pop songs.
He started off with Cry Me A River.. no it wasn't not a rendition of JT's song.
On the first half of the show he belted out some tunes off his Crazy Love album..
and some from his previous albums..
if my memory is not already dying.. he sang Everything, All of Me, Georgia in My Mind, At This Moment, Mack The Knife, For Once In My Life.. (I might be jumbling some songs here and there, can't exactly remember which songs he sang when).
Total show time was only about 1hr 40 minutes, including encore.
I was expecting his con to be a little on the boring side considering the genre of his music..
But what caught by surprise was how much he talked!
He was mostly cracking jokes, he could totally change careers to a standup comedian if he wanted to!!
He said Malaysia is a beautiful country, and the women are beautiful.
Like I've never heard that before (from some other concerts I went to lol).
He also mentioned that he met Jimmy Choo on the MAS flight to KL, and he's engaged (to an Argentinian).
And his band introduction was by far the longest I've ever witnessed!
His ensemble of musicians was quite big.. well, it is jazz.
In addition to the guitars and drummers and occasionally piano/keyboard,
there were (if i remember correctly), 3 trumpeteers, a tenor sax, an alto sax, a trombonist.. hmm did i miss anybody? maybe.
So in introducing his band members, he starts of with some real or fiction stories (i wouldnt know) of them, why he likes (or dont like) about them, all in good humor.. before mentioning their names.
He even said the tenor sax guy is a Malaysian and we should all be proud of him!
When the crowd were cheering a tad bid longer for this guy then Buble said..
wow... actually he's not Malaysian but man, the way u guys open up ur arms for him unconditionally was amazing.. hahahaha.. im not sure what to believe really.
Earlier in the show he stopped to sign a banner for one of the audience.
And suddenly a rush of ppl starting running towards the stage to have their items signed too but of course only a few managed to get it.
Half way through the show he came off the stage and started walking to the other end, opposite the stage, behind the audience on the main floor while singing (I forgot what song).
Reminds me of Gwen Stefani's concert... she did the same thing, but was more all over the place, climbing here and there..
Before that, he did a cover of Billie Jean, complete with some crotch grabbing action, and then Twist and Shout by the Beatles.
At this point I stood up, as with most of the ppl in the stadium.
I was getting bored a bit sitting down.
It would be a total bummer if i have to sit all the way through a concert. So wrong!
Then, on a small stage set up there, saying that Malaysia is one of the the first places where his career took off, he sang Home.. nice bodek la brader!
Next song was All I Do Is Dream of You and walked back to the stage..
Next up..
"This song is to give hope to all the singles out there!"
So yeah u guessed it, Haven't Met You Yet was next.
Other songs he sang during the second part of the show are, again, if my memory is has already melted, are Heartache Tonight, I've Got The World On A String...and a cover song.
I've mentioned this before, but usually there will one song in a concert that is just perfect, make me feel the energy and suck in the atmosphere of the stadium, a song that I can enjoy with my eyes closed.. that happened when he sang Feeling Good, his first song during the encore.
Then the ever wonderful song about infidelity, Me and Mrs Jones..
And he ended the show with A Song For You..
And he pulled the best gimmick of the night..
Suddenly the hall went dark, the band continued playing...and then stopped and the lights came on again, the band now was now gone (go curtain la), and Buble was standing in the middle of the stage, in front of the curtains, smiling..
Gesturing for the audience to be silent.. he sang... without a mic!
His voice reached us sitting wayyyy far up there..
Some ppl woooh-ed after every line he sang.. and ppl husheddd each other so we can hear him sing the next line..
I've never seen anyone done it before, so yeah, it was really cool! and awesome.

As much as I enjoyed Buble's concert, he is a wonderful performer, but personally it wasn't worth the 300 bucks I paid for it.
This is probably, largely because, I'm not a big fan, it was a mellow concert, and the show was less than 2 hrs!!
What are those guys who paid RM800 thinking? hahaha.
I just wanted to see Buble because I know he's a good performer so the money paid was to see a quality show, which it was.
But as to my own reasons to what makes a concert or gig awesome and great and mind blowing.. this wasn't it.
But no matter, I had a great time nonetheless and I found out that Buble can totally be a successful Funny Man!

No comments: