Saturday, May 08, 2010

Stadium Stories

Last weekend, I wanted to go to the Double Trouble concert, but i hesitated on buying the tickets, thinking that if i wanted to, i'd buy them on the day itself at the concert venue. But one day before the concert, my friend offered me tickets to Tokio Hotel and Ungu's concert. He told me to choose. I don't even know if Tokio Hotel is a group from Japan or US, and compared to them, at least I knew some Ungu songs (which wasn't really the case, will elaborate later). So naturally, free vs buying tickets.. amik yg free lah. So much for double trouble, but I've seen Awie and Amy Search perform before with their respective groups Wings and Search went I attended the Malindo concert a few years ago. And then it was a no brainer between Tokio Hotel and Ungu. Plus I wanted to check out the stage setup and seatings for concerts held at the National Stadium Bukit Jalil. I've been criticizing all this while without actually been to one held there before, so it would be good to see if I was right or wrong. And boy was I wrong. I honestly thought the stage would be placed on the field, when in actual fact its on the track therefore the stage is very much closer to the stands than i thought. And the stadium was not as big as i remembered it. Maybe with the presence of the stage and it being night time made it look smaller than it actually was. From where I sat (next to the royal box), the view wasn't bad at all!. So now that I know, I will consider future concerts should they be held at the National stadium, provided reasonable pricing for bands/artists that I actually would pay to see (I also found out that I couldve gotten free tickets to Kelly Clarkson's concert if I had asked, bummer). So that night of Ungu's concert, Akademi Fantasia was concurrently on at the Putra Stadium. But there was no traffic jam at all. Hmm. Sampai2 sana, my friend brought us in, and then to a room where there was free food, beriyani sedap gila ok. Sat down and chit chatted a bit with some strangers in the room. The strangers turned out to be Dina (Malaysian Idol) and some guy from AF1 whose name starts with the letter A. I didn't know who these people were until they went on stage before the concert (they were the emcees) and introduced themselves. Then Ungu members came on stage one by one around 9pm, after the VVIP arrived. They were the Raja Puan Muda Perlis and Sultan Kelantan's daughter. I also found out that night that VIP no.1 is my uncle's niece. So technically, I'm related to kerabat perlis by marriage (very far lah tapi). What a bizarre revelation! You'd think it'd make more sense for me to be related to kelantan's royal family right. So the opening number for Ungu, never heard before. It turned out that I knew only 2 songs from the entire concert, and it was a 2-hour concert. And these 2 songs are kekasih gelapku and demi waktu, 2nd and last songs on their setlist, respectively. And I am ashamed (not really) to say that I was only familiar with the chorus part for both songs. Nevertheless, the concert was very enjoyable, thanks to Ungu frontman who talked a lot and was really funny seriously! and kinda cute too. I've probably seen him in their videoclips during karaoke sessions but I've never really noticed. One of the guitarist was not too bad too. A little more than halfway through the members changed instruments, the lead singer took the drums, guitarist took vocals and drummer played the guitar. For just one song, and then they changed back coz the (real) vocalist said, "wey penat laa main drum ni kenapa la aku tukar, aku nak nyanyi balik".. well not exactly in those words lah, he was talking in indonesian but that's what he meant. I wouldn't know how to reproduce his exact sentence in indonesian. Halfway through the concert the VVIPs left the royal box and went to the mosh pit which wasnt exactly one technically coz there were chairs so they took the front row chairs which i thought previously there were commoners (lol) seating there but i guess they were told to vacate their seats for the royalties. And the vvips stayed there till the end of the show. In conclusion, it was a very good and enjoyable concert, and i wouldn't mind attending a concert at the national stadium, except if its Beyonce or Rihanna whom I've banned going to their show, for life. Hahaha.

On to other things.

Its May now which means its spring commencement all around the universities in the States and this year's U of Michigan's graduation was being addressed by none other than Barack Obama. Previously, there was Bill Clinton and Bush and the co-founder of Google Larry Page who is a UofM alumni.. he got his Comp Eng degree there (just like me! haha, could i have founded something great like Google? ahahahaha dream on). During my time? I can't even remember. But then again, i graduated in winter, whereby commencement ceremonies are generally muted. Doesn't really matter. Actually, what I really want to say is that, if only the obama precidency campaign and subsequently his election as president of usa aka king of the world happened during my time in college. I can almost imagine the atmosphere, the rallies, the banners, the hype and all that around campus. I loved the whole election affair and atmosphere on campus when it was Kerry vs Bush back in 2004. I followed the election closely and was pretty sucked into the whole process. And that was nothing compared to the Obama vs McCain campaign. Seeing the picture of Mary Sue Coleman sitting next to Obama on the stage at Michigan Stadium really stirred up some crazy feelings inside me, almost nostalgic and melancholy. It is my life dream to visit Ann Arbor again... not anytime soon, but some day.. it will happen...any takers my fellow Wolverines?

3 hours to go before shift is over. Sambung Dexter S4 marathon.

p/s: i quote Conan O Brien aka Coco "If you look up 'Google' on Google from Google, you see the face of God". Damn this guy is hilarious.

4 comments:

tel said...

IT crowd ada cakap dulu ..(dulu as in lama sudah. Not before conan cuz am not sure and don't care)

anyways they said

if you look up google on google, you would ruin the internet

p.s should have used dahulu kan wakakaka masa nak backspace.

K said...

hahaha ye ke. same action different effect. tapi jap, NOT before conan?

SRS said...

IT Crowd was hilarioussss! Aku sukaaaa!

Tokio Hotel is a group from Germany. Weird kan why they choose that name for their band. There's no reaalll love in youuuuuu, why do I keeeeep loving youuuuu, it's automatic hahahaha!

K said...

Germany, really? damn i was way off.