Sunday, December 05, 2004

"Pelik"

Yesterday I was talking with a friend, and somehow the topic of me not being close to my siblings came up. It was just a brief conversation but I can't seem to get it out of my system. I have a sister and a brother, and we aren't what you can say the best of friends. We don't talk about our lives, don't tell each other our problems, don't shop or go to the movies together, we don't talk on the phone when I call home.. etc. My friend said.. "kau ni pelik sbb tak baik dengan adik beradik".

I am well aware about this, talked about it before with some close friends.. but no one has ever said that I was "pelik". Felt slightly offended and kinda hurt when this friend said that. Just because he's close to his siblings and I'm not, I think it's unfair for him to brand me as "pelik". He doesn't even know half the things about my family.

It's not like I don't talk at all with my brother and sister. We do joke around, buat lawak2 yang only we would understand (obviously we do have our own kind internal jokes that dates back to when we were kids), talk about things like current affairs or the entertainment scene or what's the latest trend or the stuff on tv. What we don't talk about is our personal lives or problems, and this is what I mean when I say I'm not close with my abang and adik. Contohnya, takde nye abang or adik aku nak citer kat aku dia org tgh minat sapa ke ape ke.

Don't say I didn't try. I tried but it felt awkward, so I stopped trying. Karang boleh je abang and adik aku pk aku ni dah buang tebiat ke hape. Plus, we are just simply not the sentimental kind. Nobody ever said I love you or the likes to each other. We don't celebrate birthdays or anniversaries, no giving out presents, no good morning or good night wishes, no "wat's new" or "how are you", no mengada-ngada with each other, no holding hands and what not. But that doesn't imply we don't love and care. And we do help each other when help is needed. Family love is unconditional, and each family has their own way of showing it.

To this friend of mine, if you're reading this, don't get the wrong idea, I'm not mad at you, heheh.

No comments: