Friday, November 09, 2018

Samarium Shenanigans

Music: Two Sleepy People by Art Garfunkel

Know what I love? When the universe conspires and brings forth unexpected coincidences.. i'd smile to myself, my own little secret, the experience unique and mine alone to enjoy..

So over the weekend I started watching netflix's Daredevil, for reasons I couldn't fathom myself. I started following my big boss on twitter and turns out he's a fan of the series. That made me want to watch it too (but only after being reassured by the high ratings). It intrigued me why the boss likes the show, its like getting to know him outside of work and meetings. Its like getting to know him personally without actually getting literally personal. Anyway, that's not the story here. The show's good but a bit draggy, so after scrolling netflix aimlessly then I decided to finally start watching House of Cards. I've heard too many people giving rave reviews about it, and of course the ratings were superb. Started on Tues, which was 2 days ago.. and now I'm almost done with S2. That's 22 hours of watching tv in 60 odd hours, considering I have to sleep and eat and go to work and what not. I'm effin hooked! If I had to compare, the drama is as good, if not much2 better, than The Good Wife. And its amazing coz the high expectations I had from the high ratings did not make the show any less good. Its that awesome!

The coincidences I spoke about... so the US midterm elections was yesterday, I know vaguely it was happening.. but watching a political drama about congressmen and the senate and the house.. I could somewhat understand and appreciate the midterm elections, not the results, but rather its significance, at least when it comes to the states' political sphere. Its a no brainer that I've also had to read up about the political setup of the US government and congress, to understand the importance and position of the characters in the show. I'm currently attending a 3-day course, and today's session started with a short overview of the energy market.. I asked a lot of questions, and one of them being the difference between FERC (which I know of) and NERC (which I didn't know prior). Then today, after my run (btw I have to run 30km this month for a virtual charity run that I joined organized by UMP), the episode that I watched was dealing with an energy crisis! Of course there were mentions of FERC.. which made me so excited, I know its a kinda geeky of me to get excited over a regulatory body mentioned in a show.. but its the coincidence really. And what is more nerdy of me is that, the energy crisis in the show centered around solutions and drama that involved nuclear plants.. and whats funny is that they used samarium in the plot! Okay you might not understand why this is funny hahaha. But its hilarious because Sm is not a nuclear fuel! Its at best a neutron absorber because of its very high cross section.. But its not even the main element used in control rods. Its an element that is more associated with the fission byproducts of nuclear fission in a reactor. I dunno why the scriptwriters chose Sm though when uranium would have been the more realistic choice. I can get all technical here and say even if Sm is really an important material for nuclear plants, it wouldn't have solved the energy crisis that was going on, because its not like other fuels such as gas or coal, when procured it can be used straight away at power plants. But what I love is that, the whole plot was so confident in its delivery, that people who don't know any better (i.e. the average people who has no idea about nuclear power plants and its fuel and what not) just takes the whole thing at face value. These people probably thinks Sm is the main fuel for NPPs. I find this all very hilarioussssssss. Yeah I'm such a nerd sometimes.

On a slightly different note, I've learnt so many new words and terms since watching the show! LOL at the things I get excited about, huh. oops another giveaway that I'm such a nerd (sometimes). But with my withering brain cells, I don't think I'd remember half the new words I've learnt.. but its still good, the next time I come across these words, I'd just look up the meaning again, and with enough times of doing that, I'd commit them to memory sooner or later right.

Haven't had much sleep since I started this binge.. It's been a while since I truly marathoned any show in the truest sense. Mind you House of Cards is on its sixth season now, with a total of more than 70 eps to date... I'm on 20 something ep.. 50 to go and I can't wait to watch them all! 5 years is a bit late to start but better late than never right. I'm happy with this distraction, takes away the sadness and the resigned feeling I've been grappling with since last week. But that's another story for another time, not tonight.  

No comments: