Music: Let It Go by James Bay
Last weekend i decided to go to Tokyo, solo of course, it was a last minute decision. Because there was free wifi all over the city and subway, I was pretty much updating live my trip on IG story. I started thinking why I do it though. As always, I like to think back about my actions.. I’ve developed a certain habit of self-evaluating myself, the things I do and say, the way my thoughts form and evolve in both the most interesting and mundane situations happening around me. Lets just say my level of consciousness about myself is quite well developed. I find that it helps me to be a better person as well as understand myself better, which always give me an opportunity to improve myself if I find my actions wanting. Anyway, back to my live updates.. I saw two possible main reasons.. firstly is the obvious fact that I could do it coz of the free wifi. Secondly, i think its because of the precise facr that I was traveling solo (and it becomes more empahsized because people weren’t as friendly in a metropolitan like Tokyo, locals and foreigners alike). Because I am a human being that do need to socialize every now and then, it probably felt like the only way I could socialize would be through IG, albeit somewhat a one way interaction. I could actually come to this conclusion because, if I had travelled with another person, I wouldn’t have updated so much (this I know through experience of course). So whats the point of this observation though? I learn that its not something I particularly enjoy that much, live updating that is, but its not like I dont like it either. I guess part of me just wanted to share my experience. And then one might ask, why do you go solo travel then if you say u need to share, or need human connection for that matter. Well solo travel is wonderful in its own way, which I’m not gonna go into now. I guess it would have been different if I traveled to a friendlier place, and I’m forced to make my own human connections with the strangers around. But because I had the option of making those connections through IG (again coz of the free wifi everywhere), I unconsciously chose to do that instead. Why I dont particularly enjoy it much is because it does distract me from my surroundings. Social media does that really. And internet connectivity. And yet one of the underlying reasons I go travel is to detach myself and just be in the moment, absorb my new experiences and surroundings, a stimulation of the mind in a different kind of way (diff coz the mind is also stimulated when doing work and solving problems at work).
Oh and another new thing I learned about myself, more like how I have evolved.. cityscapes is really not my thing anymore. I need more nature. I actually planned to hike nearby Mt Fuji but alas it rained a lot the weekend I was there, hence I had to forgo my hiking plans. Oh well.. lets just say I wont be going to Tokyo for a while, maybe the entry point to somewhere else but thats it.
P/s: I’m currently reading a book titled The Social Animal by David Brooks. Lol.
Last weekend i decided to go to Tokyo, solo of course, it was a last minute decision. Because there was free wifi all over the city and subway, I was pretty much updating live my trip on IG story. I started thinking why I do it though. As always, I like to think back about my actions.. I’ve developed a certain habit of self-evaluating myself, the things I do and say, the way my thoughts form and evolve in both the most interesting and mundane situations happening around me. Lets just say my level of consciousness about myself is quite well developed. I find that it helps me to be a better person as well as understand myself better, which always give me an opportunity to improve myself if I find my actions wanting. Anyway, back to my live updates.. I saw two possible main reasons.. firstly is the obvious fact that I could do it coz of the free wifi. Secondly, i think its because of the precise facr that I was traveling solo (and it becomes more empahsized because people weren’t as friendly in a metropolitan like Tokyo, locals and foreigners alike). Because I am a human being that do need to socialize every now and then, it probably felt like the only way I could socialize would be through IG, albeit somewhat a one way interaction. I could actually come to this conclusion because, if I had travelled with another person, I wouldn’t have updated so much (this I know through experience of course). So whats the point of this observation though? I learn that its not something I particularly enjoy that much, live updating that is, but its not like I dont like it either. I guess part of me just wanted to share my experience. And then one might ask, why do you go solo travel then if you say u need to share, or need human connection for that matter. Well solo travel is wonderful in its own way, which I’m not gonna go into now. I guess it would have been different if I traveled to a friendlier place, and I’m forced to make my own human connections with the strangers around. But because I had the option of making those connections through IG (again coz of the free wifi everywhere), I unconsciously chose to do that instead. Why I dont particularly enjoy it much is because it does distract me from my surroundings. Social media does that really. And internet connectivity. And yet one of the underlying reasons I go travel is to detach myself and just be in the moment, absorb my new experiences and surroundings, a stimulation of the mind in a different kind of way (diff coz the mind is also stimulated when doing work and solving problems at work).
Oh and another new thing I learned about myself, more like how I have evolved.. cityscapes is really not my thing anymore. I need more nature. I actually planned to hike nearby Mt Fuji but alas it rained a lot the weekend I was there, hence I had to forgo my hiking plans. Oh well.. lets just say I wont be going to Tokyo for a while, maybe the entry point to somewhere else but thats it.
P/s: I’m currently reading a book titled The Social Animal by David Brooks. Lol.
No comments:
Post a Comment