Music: The Mission by 30 Seconds to Mars
So I'm back in this godforsaken university.. another year to go. Nevertheless, the moon is shining so bright and the sky so clear that my lightless room is illuminated like a spot light. If there is only one thing I could miss when I leave this place it would be the amazing view of the sea from my room balcony. Anyway, since its back to mundane student life, there's nothing much to tell on what is currently going on in my life. I did become emcee during the new students' orientation a few days back though, if you think that is exciting story. However, there are so many stories to be told regarding my solo trip to Egypt and Jordan. So many that I really have no idea where to start. I probably should break it down into themes.. or just write whatever I feel like at any one time, eh?
Referring to the title of this post, I ask in retrospect now, after all that has happened the past year, and most significantly, the past 2 months, how much do I really know myself? How much more have I yet to discover? (Btw I went to Vietnam too, so its 3 countries in a span of 7 weeks).
Solo travelers usually blog about how traveling solo brings about amazing discoveries about oneself..
Thinking back, and what I found out about myself was that, I am quite a brave person (this is not an angkat bakul statement), bordering reckless even, considering I was a woman alone in one of the places where woman don't usually travel to alone (i.e. Egypt). A few times I put myself in a dangerous situation, yet I'm so lucky that when nothing bad happened to me, I don't learn from my scary experiences and went on being reckless again. After a thorough and long process of self-diagnose, it appears to me that my trusting nature that most people only have good intentions is the culprit. Actually I have been wayyyy less trusting of people than say 5 years ago, but I guess its still a wee bit too much. I've recounted many stories about my trip to many friends, part crazy part hilarious and part dangerous, except for two stories which I am sort of ashamed to tell anyone. Don't be worried or alarmed though, nothing bad happened to me, and I didn't do anything wrong/sinful either. Its just that I am ashamed to tell the story because it happened due to my own stupidity and recklessness and naivety, despite all the experiences I have on me.
As much as the whole solo trip was a wonderful and exciting experience for me, I would strongly advice against women traveling solo to Egypt, unless you are a seasoned traveler that can handle situations like being physically harassed constantly or being followed, or when nothing ever goes to plan, calmly (calm is key, don't panic, so you can think of a way out clearly). I was probably a "half-ripe" traveler before this trip, but now I'm well seasoned I think, hahaha. Btw, Jordan is much safer than Egypt in general, although the two dangerous situations that I was in, which I've kept a secret from everyone, happened to me in Jordan.
Anyway, I also discovered that I can totally spend time alone and not feel lonely. I really do know how to enjoy my own company (selingan: I could actually write "enjoy myself", but after watching a marathon of Game of Thrones and 2 Broke Girls, everything sounds dirty to me hahaha). Being alone is actually a much easier thing to do in a foreign place because, well, for the sole reason that everything's foreign! Nothing is familiar, therefore there are so many things to discover, to see, to digest. Although it would be fun to have a companion for me to make jokes and give comments about the things and people I see and encounter.. but its something I got used to, talking to no one and everyone in particular. In fact, many a time I feel lonelier among friends, even close friends, than when I'm alone. Like right now.
I also discovered how much of a bad thing I can handle, and its quite amazing really. In many situations, I would imagine someone I know traveling with me, and wonder whether those people can take it or not. Some people made the cut, some people failed miserably (ahhh.. the things we come up with to entertain ourselves). Anyway, its pretty easy really, the key is to always have an open mind and an enormous sense of humor. Faith in what Allah has planned for us is of course definite, its the thing that have kept me sane and grounded and not want to kill myself (totally exaggerated for effect) all these years. Trust that everything will go well, and Allah will keep you safe if you pray to him sincerely and always (not only when you're in trouble).
Ok I'm planning to ganti puasa this whole week, before winter is over.. its time for sahur now. Till my next entry.
So I'm back in this godforsaken university.. another year to go. Nevertheless, the moon is shining so bright and the sky so clear that my lightless room is illuminated like a spot light. If there is only one thing I could miss when I leave this place it would be the amazing view of the sea from my room balcony. Anyway, since its back to mundane student life, there's nothing much to tell on what is currently going on in my life. I did become emcee during the new students' orientation a few days back though, if you think that is exciting story. However, there are so many stories to be told regarding my solo trip to Egypt and Jordan. So many that I really have no idea where to start. I probably should break it down into themes.. or just write whatever I feel like at any one time, eh?
Referring to the title of this post, I ask in retrospect now, after all that has happened the past year, and most significantly, the past 2 months, how much do I really know myself? How much more have I yet to discover? (Btw I went to Vietnam too, so its 3 countries in a span of 7 weeks).
Solo travelers usually blog about how traveling solo brings about amazing discoveries about oneself..
Thinking back, and what I found out about myself was that, I am quite a brave person (this is not an angkat bakul statement), bordering reckless even, considering I was a woman alone in one of the places where woman don't usually travel to alone (i.e. Egypt). A few times I put myself in a dangerous situation, yet I'm so lucky that when nothing bad happened to me, I don't learn from my scary experiences and went on being reckless again. After a thorough and long process of self-diagnose, it appears to me that my trusting nature that most people only have good intentions is the culprit. Actually I have been wayyyy less trusting of people than say 5 years ago, but I guess its still a wee bit too much. I've recounted many stories about my trip to many friends, part crazy part hilarious and part dangerous, except for two stories which I am sort of ashamed to tell anyone. Don't be worried or alarmed though, nothing bad happened to me, and I didn't do anything wrong/sinful either. Its just that I am ashamed to tell the story because it happened due to my own stupidity and recklessness and naivety, despite all the experiences I have on me.
As much as the whole solo trip was a wonderful and exciting experience for me, I would strongly advice against women traveling solo to Egypt, unless you are a seasoned traveler that can handle situations like being physically harassed constantly or being followed, or when nothing ever goes to plan, calmly (calm is key, don't panic, so you can think of a way out clearly). I was probably a "half-ripe" traveler before this trip, but now I'm well seasoned I think, hahaha. Btw, Jordan is much safer than Egypt in general, although the two dangerous situations that I was in, which I've kept a secret from everyone, happened to me in Jordan.
Anyway, I also discovered that I can totally spend time alone and not feel lonely. I really do know how to enjoy my own company (selingan: I could actually write "enjoy myself", but after watching a marathon of Game of Thrones and 2 Broke Girls, everything sounds dirty to me hahaha). Being alone is actually a much easier thing to do in a foreign place because, well, for the sole reason that everything's foreign! Nothing is familiar, therefore there are so many things to discover, to see, to digest. Although it would be fun to have a companion for me to make jokes and give comments about the things and people I see and encounter.. but its something I got used to, talking to no one and everyone in particular. In fact, many a time I feel lonelier among friends, even close friends, than when I'm alone. Like right now.
I also discovered how much of a bad thing I can handle, and its quite amazing really. In many situations, I would imagine someone I know traveling with me, and wonder whether those people can take it or not. Some people made the cut, some people failed miserably (ahhh.. the things we come up with to entertain ourselves). Anyway, its pretty easy really, the key is to always have an open mind and an enormous sense of humor. Faith in what Allah has planned for us is of course definite, its the thing that have kept me sane and grounded and not want to kill myself (totally exaggerated for effect) all these years. Trust that everything will go well, and Allah will keep you safe if you pray to him sincerely and always (not only when you're in trouble).
Ok I'm planning to ganti puasa this whole week, before winter is over.. its time for sahur now. Till my next entry.
No comments:
Post a Comment