Music: Rise To Me by The Decemberists
Its been one week and I'm still recovering from dengue fever. Two Sundays ago, I came down with a high fever and was hot and cold for 4 days, paracatemols did not do the trick this time round. My whole body, joints and muscles were aching very badly, I had severe migraine and my temp was quite high. I finally went to the doctor after some coercion, and was told me to come again in 2 days for a blood test, because apparently, dengue can only be detected on the 4th or 5th day of fever. I dutifully went in last Friday for the required blood test, and my platelets were low. But it wasn't that low to be honest. 50 is the count for mandatory admission into the ward for government hospitals (I went to a private one). My count was 70 but doctor decided to admit me, I wanted to refuse but he would not hear it.
I hate hospitals, I even hate clinics for that matter. I avoid them at all costs, when it comes to me being sick (not when visiting others). So there I was, feeling miserable having to spend the night at the ward. One hour after being shown to my bed, I asked the nurse when can I go back. Of course she laughed at me, "depends on the doctor". I told my boss to find replacements for me at work, my parents, and 2 close friends. Told my parents to bring my laptop over, I was dreading the night ahead, I didn't have any mood to read, so I figured I should watch movies instead, which I did.
It did not help that there was some construction going on in the ward so it wasn't quiet at all there. Another patient across the hall just gave birth and she had many visitors. Two girls who came to visit her stayed until 11pm and was telling her whole life story about all the boyfriends she's had. I couldn't block her out because she was speaking so loud. So that night I unwillingly listened to a bedtime story that I couldn't care less for.
I drank so much water to raise my platelet levels so that I could be discharged the next day, which resulted in me going to the toilet every half hour or so. I was also dripped a total of 4 pints of whatever it was they put in me (water/sodium chloride). They took my blood sample 3 times, and the next day thankfully my platelets had increased and I was allowed to go back home. The doc confirmed it was dengue, but I was just glad I only had to spend one night in the ward. I HATED EVERY MINUTE OF IT. The day before, my dad finished up my food because I didn't have the appetite to eat, especially hospital food, urgh. In fact, I lost 3 to 5kgs during the whole ordeal. I think I've gained most of it back by now.
2 days ago I went for another blood test and thankfully my platelet and white blood count are back to normal levels. But my red blood count is still low, but I think that's also because I went to donate blood a month ago, which I've been doing every 4-5 months for the past 2 years, so naturally its lower than usual.
I'm still easily tired, hence why I said I'm still recovering. I did 10 laps in the swimming pool yesterday and I was more tired than usual. But the most important thing is that I have gained my appetite back, which is a good indication that I'm recovering well. I'm lucky to only be truly sick for about 10 days, and admitted only for a day. Some people I know are admitted up to a week, and take at least 3 weeks to fully recover. I feel totally fine now. I did not go to work for 10 days.
Its been one week and I'm still recovering from dengue fever. Two Sundays ago, I came down with a high fever and was hot and cold for 4 days, paracatemols did not do the trick this time round. My whole body, joints and muscles were aching very badly, I had severe migraine and my temp was quite high. I finally went to the doctor after some coercion, and was told me to come again in 2 days for a blood test, because apparently, dengue can only be detected on the 4th or 5th day of fever. I dutifully went in last Friday for the required blood test, and my platelets were low. But it wasn't that low to be honest. 50 is the count for mandatory admission into the ward for government hospitals (I went to a private one). My count was 70 but doctor decided to admit me, I wanted to refuse but he would not hear it.
I hate hospitals, I even hate clinics for that matter. I avoid them at all costs, when it comes to me being sick (not when visiting others). So there I was, feeling miserable having to spend the night at the ward. One hour after being shown to my bed, I asked the nurse when can I go back. Of course she laughed at me, "depends on the doctor". I told my boss to find replacements for me at work, my parents, and 2 close friends. Told my parents to bring my laptop over, I was dreading the night ahead, I didn't have any mood to read, so I figured I should watch movies instead, which I did.
It did not help that there was some construction going on in the ward so it wasn't quiet at all there. Another patient across the hall just gave birth and she had many visitors. Two girls who came to visit her stayed until 11pm and was telling her whole life story about all the boyfriends she's had. I couldn't block her out because she was speaking so loud. So that night I unwillingly listened to a bedtime story that I couldn't care less for.
I drank so much water to raise my platelet levels so that I could be discharged the next day, which resulted in me going to the toilet every half hour or so. I was also dripped a total of 4 pints of whatever it was they put in me (water/sodium chloride). They took my blood sample 3 times, and the next day thankfully my platelets had increased and I was allowed to go back home. The doc confirmed it was dengue, but I was just glad I only had to spend one night in the ward. I HATED EVERY MINUTE OF IT. The day before, my dad finished up my food because I didn't have the appetite to eat, especially hospital food, urgh. In fact, I lost 3 to 5kgs during the whole ordeal. I think I've gained most of it back by now.
2 days ago I went for another blood test and thankfully my platelet and white blood count are back to normal levels. But my red blood count is still low, but I think that's also because I went to donate blood a month ago, which I've been doing every 4-5 months for the past 2 years, so naturally its lower than usual.
I'm still easily tired, hence why I said I'm still recovering. I did 10 laps in the swimming pool yesterday and I was more tired than usual. But the most important thing is that I have gained my appetite back, which is a good indication that I'm recovering well. I'm lucky to only be truly sick for about 10 days, and admitted only for a day. Some people I know are admitted up to a week, and take at least 3 weeks to fully recover. I feel totally fine now. I did not go to work for 10 days.
2 comments:
hi kerr, terkejut jap reading this, dengue ya. but as u said kira kejap tu 1 day je warded kan, thank God. my doa hope u get all well soon!
thanks Ani. I'm fully recovered :)
Post a Comment