Wednesday, May 18, 2011

4 books in 3 weeks.

Music: Adolescent by Incubus


Doctor In The House

Reading Tun Mahathir's memoirs was like a crash course lesson on Malaya's history and its progress to what we now proudly call Malaysia. At first I couldn't imagine how someone could write a 800-page book talking just about him/herself? But Doctor In The House is more than just "me me me!", although I did get the impression that Dr.M was for the most part content with his actions, rarely did he appear to regret any decisions made during his whole life and tenure as a PM, except in a few occasions. The long and thorough explanations of his reasons and thinking behind every single thought/plan/action greatly contributed to the length of the book, and usually in the form of background stories and historical events. I welcomed it with open arms and was grateful that he did not assume his readers are walking encyclopedians, or historians. But the downside of this is that, I tend to believe everything I read, unless I take the pain to verify every fact and story, which will never happen. Again, what makes what I find on google any more credible and truthful than what Dr.M said?

I've always been uninterested in Malaysian politics, even now. I don't know most of our MPs and Ministers, I don't keep myself up to date with the scandals of our politicians, etc. A friend of mine said I'm ignorant, and I don't refute that fact (but then again this friend is like a walking wikipedia and I always feel stupid and intellectually inadequate whenever I talk to him). But nevertheless, I've always admired our 4th PM for the developments and progress that he brought upon our country. I believe he achieved a lot during his 22-year tenure. What is also glaring is that, I also used to believe that whatever 'wrongs' he did or accused of doing can (as opposed to should) be ignored because the good things he brought upon far outweighed the bad. I also only wanted to believe the nice things and turned a deaf ear on the bad things. I'm idealistic by nature, nowadays I've learned to be more critical, thanks to the friends that I've been hanging out with.

Back to the book, the first 600-page or so was enlightening in the sense that it was informative, like a history lesson of sorts. However, towards the end, as the timeline of Dr.M's stories becomes closer and closer to the years when I am alive and relatively aware of some of the stories and scandals, its hard to take everything at face value. As I am still not adequately informed on these stories or scandals (nor do I plan to be), I couldn't believe, nor could I not believe, and I am unable to form a strong opinion on certain topics. This is just a nice and roundabout way of saying, I'm such a bimbo when it comes to politics (and will forever be)! Reading the memoir didn't make me like or hate him more. Its a really good read nonetheless, as I've learned a few things (that I care to remember). Don't be put off by the thickness of the book though, Dr.M's style of writing is simple and straightforward, no complicated jargons or long twisted sentences. The points he presented are concise and to the point.

Three Cups of Deceit

I found a free copy online of Jon Krakauer's 85-page article on Dr. Greg Mortenson's alleged lies. As much as I was hoping for it to be a case of misunderstanding or misinterpretations, by the end of the article, I was almost convinced that we have all (those who read Three Cups of Tea, that is) been deceived to the fullest extent by Dr. Greg. I delayed reading the article until a week after I got hold of it just to let myself believe the noble story that woud inevitably be crushed a little while longer. Its not easy to discredit Krakauer's allegations as he presented his findings with a lot of proof and facts, mostly emails quoted in full and also interviews with the relevant parties. One could argue that he could've made it all up to accuse Dr. Greg of his hypocrisy and swindling ways, but would he, a highly regarded and respected mountaineer and writer, put his reputation on the line? Its not entirely impossible, but find it hard to believe nonetheless. What I really think now is that, Dr. Greg had the best of intentions when he started his cause, but somehow along the lines, he succumbed to the pressure (maybe he was pressed for money, maybe he wanted fame and glory), and resorted to 'selling' his noble work for the said money/fame/glory.

Merde

I read the 3rd book of the Merde series by Stephen Clarke during my trip to South America. Because I loved it so much, and was being told that Merde Happens was not as good as the first 2 books, naturally I had to read them right. So I finished A Year in the Merde and Merde Actually, back to back.. and I was sorely disappointed. It did not made me LOL as much. Maybe because the novelty of his jokes wore off, or maybe I can't appreciate humor anymore. I don't know. But they weren't bad, reading them just did not gave me the reaction that I expected (of myself). Now I'm wondering whether I should read the 4th book, just to complete the whole series. 

No comments: