Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Music: Ordinary Miracle by Sarah McLachlan

Night shift.
When I get mad and I can't shout at the object of my wrath,
my heart rate increases
my hand trembles
my voice shakes when I speak
and I stutter.. really bad.
And right now I've just only cooled down from all that.

One of the (very few) things I like about fb is.. the Visual Shelf.
Its the only application I've downloaded onto my page anyway.
To those in the dark, its basically like a library of your book collections..
What you've read, want to read, currently reading.
What book you own, which one you borrowed, the books you don't want.
And of course, you can rate and write reviews of the books you've read.
You can also start and participate in discussion topics of various book titles.
Furthermore! you can see what books your friends have read, currently reading etc.
Oh man I sound like a nerd do I.
Although I know there are many other websites on the internet that have exactly the same things as the above and surely much more, I'm too lazy to check them out.
So I'll just stick to this one.
Its very interesting to know what other people are reading.
I don't judge a book by its cover (literally, i'm talking about books here, book cover arts doesn't really affect my decisions to buy/read it)..
But I found out that I judge a person by the books they read..
So essentially.. I AM judging a book by its cover (figuratively, not talking about books anymore).
Firstly, anybody that reads (irregardless of material, but must not be porn magazines and such) is a plus by my standards.
Secondly, I form my own opinions on people and how they think and what kind of person they are by the books that they read (now material is taken into account).
You can see the trend of course..
Self help books, chic lits, literature, classics, romance, history, economics, politics.. you name it.
You get an insight on what how your friends think, what they're really interested in, their level of intellectual, things like that.
And then you wonder.. oh god how on earth can he/she read politics like a religion? (for instance).
And then you consider the kind of person he/she is, if you've known them long enough, you'd understand better.
Everybody have something they like, so yeah, its interesting to find out this way.
I for one don't understand why majority of my friends (girls mostly) simply love chic lits..
A perfect example would be.. the shopaholic series..
I read the first book and I wasn't impressed not even a little bit.
The first chic lit I ever bought was Trading Up by Candace Bushnell.
Considering she's the author of Sex and The City, I thought I'd give it a try.
Mehh.. I didn't enjoy the book too much.
Come to think of it, I'm not really a fan of SATC, although I do watch the show occasionally, mostly reruns on TV when I was in the States.
As much as I dislike chic lits, I loooooooooveee chick flicks! bwahahahha..
How can this be??? I shock myself. Oh I'm digressing.
Don't take this the wrong way though, if you like the shopaholic series.. then so be it..
I'm in no way criticizing anybody here..
You like what you like, I like what I like.
We get on with our lives.
And then there's the discussion board.
I browsed through the topics for the first time just now.
Its so awesome to see that most of the books under discussion are mostly those I've already read, and some that I want to read.
Some I've bought since 8 million years ago but haven't touched.
I realized that I am in the 'common' category.
Meaning I read what the majority of people who reads read.
Mainstream.
Like mainstream music. But books.
Dammit I'm common. Ha ha.
Its interesting to read book reviews written by the masses, unlike those official reviews by New York Times and such. Sometimes I don't get what they're trying to say at all. Good or bad?
Gives a different perspective, interpretations and considerations that I've never thought of.

Yeah I'm in the reading-mode this month.
The many movies and j-dramas I've downloaded can wait till next.

I'm off to download another application on fb now. The Trip Map thingy.

No comments: