Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Fun With Strangers

Music: Keali'i Reichel

A little over 2 weeks ago I bought tickets to Langkawi on impulse. A day before my date of departure, I requested to couch surf with a Canadian who is a teacher living there, whom I'll be referring to as Cikgu. A few hours before my flight, he called me and agreed to host me, despite the fact that I had no references on the CS website. I went alone. 

Upon arrival Cikgu was already waiting for me at the airport lobby. He told me later as he was trying to spot me, or more like guess which one was me as the passengers from the flight walked out of the airport, he said I looked interesting and said to himself, maybe that's her. I think it was because I sort of dressed up like a hippie, with my ali baba pants that I bought in Siem Reap, carrying a backpack. So I guess I made a good first impression yeah.. hahaha!

We went for dinner right after at a Thai restaurant along Cenang Beach, initially it was just us. One thing lead to another, and it then became a party of 5 with another Malaysian girl who came from Gombak (lets call her JJB, short for Jar Jar Binks) and 2 Egyptian guys (lets call them MG Dawg and Big Z). This was the first time all of us at the table met each other, it was totally unplanned. After much talking and getting to know each other sort of, I made plans to hangout with MG Dawg and Big Z and JJB the next day, as Cikgu had to go to work. 

Cikgu's abode was more wonderful that I could ever expected. It was a kampung house, greenery all around, with a verandah going around the house. It was separated into two, the owner of the house is a retiree from Britain who lived on the left side, and Cikgu was renting the right side. The apartment had only one room, I slept in the living room on a tilam on the floor. At night, the place was really dark and quiet, something you'll never get anywhere in KL. The stars were clearly visible, more than the usual ones I get to see from my room in Bangi on a clear night. Next day Cikgu left early for work while I was still asleep. I woke up around 8.30am and chilled on the verandah, drank coffee and read my book. Mary the owner woke up around 10am i think and started playing a nice soothing and timeless world music on her stereo, time fell to a stand still, I enjoyed the moment watching the morning sun rise with the ocean breeze blowing my hair. I've never felt so at peace, and all worries of the worldly life was forgotten that morning. 

Later at noon, MG Dawg called me and said they just got back from their island hopping trip and asked me to join them for lunch. The kampung house was about 15 minutes walk from the Cenang Beach strip. As I was walking towards the strip after about 5 minutes in I stopped a local guy and hitched hike with him on his motor kapcai. Ahh.. the kampung life!

After lunch, the four of us rented a kancil and went sight seeing, we went to the cable car and seven wells, and later on to Kuah Town. It rained hard throughout but that really did not dampen our plans nor our spirits. We were soaked. I had sooo much fun with them and we talked alot, like alot. It was great because all of us really clicked, I guess owing to the fact that all of us are CS-ers we sort of have the same interests, ie traveling, and there were so many things to talk about! By the time we were done reached the strip it was around 9pm, we called up Cikgu, went to dinner. I hung out at the boys' room of the backpackers place they were staying at while waiting for Cikgu to pick us up. After that, we went to Babylon, a club/bar by the beach, there was live music and a whole lot of mat sallehs, especially Scandinavians. Left around 1am, went home and continued chatting with Cikgu up to 3 in the morning! 

Next day Cikgu, MG Dawg, Big Z and I went kayaking, at noon. It was super duper hot and I am now totally sunburned. I think I am now as dark as I was during my school days. It was 3 hours of kayaking, into the mangrove area and later out to the Andaman sea, bordering Thailand. Had a fix of cold coconut drinks and we said goodbye to Cikgu as he was invited to a party on a yacht with the rugby team that he usually plays with. I went back with MG Dawg and Big Z with Cikgu's car, met up with JJB, we had dinner, and then they sent me to the airport for my flight back to KL. 

So that's a not so brief summary of my adhoc trip to Langkawi. A lot went through my mind throughout those 3 days. I wondered why was it that I felt more at ease to be myself, the person I really am, compared to whenever I hangout with my good friends. I could talk about everything and anything, I could say what I wanted, I enjoyed my conversations especially with Cikgu. I didn't feel like I had to refrain my thoughts, I didn't have to explain my actions. Maybe because I knew they didn't have any prejudice towards me. Travelers usually have an open mind especially when visiting new places. For once, I literally felt free as a bird. Don't get it wrong I love hanging out with my friends but sometimes because we have known each other for so long, there are certain expectations of behaviour that comes with it. 

As I was waiting to board the plane, I texted and thanked Cikgu for his hospitality. And his reply was something I could never expect from a Malaysian guy or any of my friends, and it made me really happy. I also now have a good reference on my CS profile from Cikgu and MG Dawg. Its really surprising knowing how people perceive us, its usually different from what we think we portray. 

So, I've finally went on my first solo experience, albeit it being only for 3 days to a local destination. But no matter, since I hung out with foreigners anyway, it did sort of felt like a trip abroad haha. I made awesome new friends. I've also always wanted to couch surf, but always not able to because I don't think the people I travel with wants to, or maybe I should just ask next time. My first experience on both traveling alone and couch surfing turned out to be more awesome that I imagined it would be, and its a no brainer that I'd be doing it again when the opportunity comes. 

I guess it might sound a little dangerous, a girl going on holiday alone and crashing at a guy's house that she never met before, who lived alone in a quiet kampung area. But risks are there to be taken, and it wasn't a totally blind or rash decision on my part as Cikgu had loads of good references from other CS-ers who has met him before. On the other hand, he was at first apprehensive in hosting me because I had zero references. That's why he called me up and he later told me I sounded ok and normal and nice on the phone. Hahaha. 

I actually planned on being a beach bum and read my book on my trip there, since I knew no one. But plans change, and usually for the better :)

The only group pic us. 



4 comments:

SRS said...

And I thought couch-surfing is sitting on a couch while channel surfing, as in flipping through TV channels (which is what I do most days now) hahaha! Nampak sgt I am not a 'traveler' at all kehkehkeh! :p

K said...

hahaha.. itu couch-lounging namanya.

naza said...

K thanks  seronok baca and to think aku tak pernah sampai langkawi lagi, heh. too tourist-y i would say, ceh... awesome gila baca!
ps: semalam aku ada mtg kat nldc teringat kat kau!

K said...

Hehe Nothing wrong going to touristy places. Langkawi dah buat cantik2 nice place for a getaway. Should go!