Thursday, December 29, 2011

Travel Bible

Music: Paradise by Coldplay

Aptly titled, The Tao of Travel is everything you need to know about great travel writers and their experiences, according to Paul Theroux. From Ibn Batutta to the more recent like Jon Krakauer. There are many great quotes and excerpts from various books that have ever been written, some of it I think are so wonderful because it explains things that I myself can't put into words, whenever I try to describe my own feelings. It touches on the nuances, the solitude and loneliness, the highs and lows, the unexpected experiences, the feelings of liberation and freedom, the exotic (or barbaric) food encounters, the harshness and happiness, the nothingness and extremities; of travelling. A wonderful read.

A quick google image search of Theroux and a quick read on wikipedia, gave me the impression that he has that slightly high and mighty attitude, but not in the way he writes, for he appears humble and appreciative in his writings about others. I would love to get my hands on Paul Theroux other travel books.

My third book in 5 days. I guess its really easy to be on a roll when the mood comes.

"Travel is a state of mind. It has nothing to do with existence or the exotic. It is almost entirely an inner experience."
-Paul Theroux, Fresh Air Fiend (2000).

2 comments:

awesome blossom said...

i like his writings sebab he tells as it is, as how he really feels. very frank, and yes, at times sounds so snobish and almighty, but great indeed sbb no sugarcoating. tak ingat apa nama buku tu, it was about him doing solo ocean kayak, hopping from an island to another. sangat cool and adventurous.

K said...

its thanks to you that i know him!! will have to return your books soon. lets meet up before you go, if u go.. yes i heard :D