Music: Zambita by Gustavo Santaolalla
The movie was almost exactly how I imagined it would be, mainly because it stayed true to the book, and probably incorporated a few other happenings of Che Guevara's travel that was not written in this book, but other books instead (Che wrote many books).
I was most awed by the spectacular views of Latin America throughout the movie. It could very well be an unofficial travel promotion for South America. The mountains, snow-capped Andes, the narrow cobbled streets of Cuzco, a relatively empty Machu Picchu (susah ok, everyday thousands of people visit the ancient ruins, they must've closed it during shooting), the rural villages etc.. the cinematography was amazing. In fact, I read somewhere that tour companies in the continent have come up with Che Guevara themed tours, giving tourists a chance to trace his travels. Ada2 je la diorang ni nak buat duit punya pasal. Reminds me of the Da Vinci Code themed tours in Paris that we've all heard about as well.
Many a time in the movie, situations and consequences were implied. Some I might not even understand if I did not read the book first. I love it that the movie did not include any obvious indications of the person he became or the things he did. In that way, the movie stayed fresh, telling its own story, fresh, without the influences and knowledge of future Che. The final close up shot of a real life Alberto Granado's face and eyes (his travel partner), already old and in his 80s.. summed up the movie perfectly. It gives the movie credibility and authenticity.
And of course, I have to say something about the soundtrack, because it is too good!! It gave me the same feeling when I was one crazy about Into The Wild's soundtrack, all songs written and sung by Eddie Vedder with his slurry lazy yet sexy voice. The music in Motorcycle Diaries were written by Gustavo Santaolalla, an Argentine musician who also won the Oscar twice for his original score in Brokeback Mountain and Babel (wiki info). Listening to the album standalone (I'm listening to it now for almost the 10th time since yesterday), I can only marvel at the way Gustavo managed to capture and express the feelings felt throughout the movie.. the melancholy of leaving a familiar place, the excitement of not knowing what lies ahead, the loneliness of talking to strangers, the despair of travel difficulties, the hopes and dreams that occupies the mind, the frustration of seeing poverty and discrimination all around and unable to do anything about it, the joys of making new friends, the sadness of parting with kind helpers.. music can affect first in weird ways really, this guy is good! Can't praise the album enough.
I'm now downloading Che Part 1 and 2, acted by Benicio del Toro, about the Cuban Revolution and Guerilla War in Bolivia, respectively. 3 hours to finish, can't wait to watch it.
Ernesto Guevara de la Serna. I think all his images smoking cigars are HOT! hahahahhh
Gael Garcia Bernal, the Mexican actor who played Che in the movie. Apparently he was in Babel, but I don't remember him.


4 comments:
cheh..ko nye blog rupanya.. aku nampak tajuk ni aku click.
mamat ni aku afzan n dayang suka zaman2 umich. hahaha bleargh...so michigan la citer ni.
im reading the stories of revolutions he led in cuba and bolivia-- everything on wiki, 1 book down, 3 more to go. watched 3 biopic movies. its more about learning history rather than normal suka2 i suppose. all out to understand che.
zaman uni mmg idealistic...aku pun dah tgk semua che. u la aku kata..so michigan... org akan pakai baju che..to sebenarnya x sesuai ngan apa yg che fought for. (u shud join spanish class aku, asyik pasal che aje -_- seb baik aku tau)
hahah.. now im wondering why my mandarin class tak cakap pasal mao ze dong. we were too busy memorizing intonations and characters i suppose haha.
Post a Comment