So, Bush won. I somehow expected this. I think I even mentioned this to someone, Hakam maybe. It was a gut feeling, eventhough I clearly wanted Kerry to win. Wonder why?
About a month ago, while waiting for the bus at CC Little, I found this newspaper yg basically cakap pasal election sahaja. There was a list of the different policies between B and K. I agreed to some of B's and some of K's. For eg, B opposes the idea of same sex marriage, dia nak ban mende alah tu, which is obviously good. However, K supports lesbian and gay ppl kawin. On the other hand, I agreed to K's war and foreign affairs policies, and not B's. So after reading the whole list and making the comparisons, if I were to ignore the things that B has done in the past (I'm not, hence the reason I want Kerry to win), I would have had a hard time choosing who to vote.
Then yesterday, I got to know (from my American classmate) that B is kind of a conservative Christian, and you can say that K is pretty much more liberal, and he's a Catholic. B is more concerned with social illness and welfares, as opposed to K, who is more interested in international relations and the likes. So that explains everything. It also explains why K won nearly all of east and west coast states' electoral votes, and some states in the midwest region. Tempat2 ini lebih byk bandar2 besar, ppl are 'modernized', hence the way of thinking of these ppl is not so 'old-fashioned'. Whereas B won most of the other states, yg lebih byk org2 redneck, org2 kampung, except maybe Florida. In the end, everything boiled down to swing-state-Ohio, the Florida of the 2000 Election, lol.
In response to one of Deera's entry in her blog, if all the Malaysians in the States were to vote for K, B would still win. K was down in the number of electoral votes by a margin that is not recoverable(?) by the number of Malaysians in the US. Furthermore, B lead K in the number of popular votes by 3 million. K had no chance at all. Mathematically impossible.
I heard that a lot of students mmg deeply affected with the election results, particularly K supporters. Some tak nak keluar bilik, some won't even talk/sit with those who voted B, some could not concentrate in class langsung because dia orang worry too much about the election. So I guess it is true that there really are B-haters out there, somehow I used to think the Americans don't really care, especially students. I thought they were just hyped up about the election because it was 'in', with P.Diddy promoting the 'Rock the Vote' campaign on MTV and all. If I were an American, or if I were able to vote for that matter, I wonder how the election would have affected me. Heh.
No comments:
Post a Comment